Islington Golf Club History

A Stanley Thompson Course

In 1913, the seed for Islington Golf Club was planted by three entrepreneurs with a vision for a community golf club. The Club was conceived in the minds of Colonel Bill Rogers, E.H.A. Watson, Principal of Riverdale Collegiate and Mr. Chadwick, a local realtor. All three were directors of the Colonial Realty Company and realized the rolling farmland and winding Mimico Creek would make a pristine and challenging setting for a golf course. The First World War delayed their plans, but in 1923 they renegotiated an option on the Appleby Farm land, and Islington Golf Club was incorporated.

Fifty men and twenty teams of horses were employed, and because most of the land destined for fairways needed a minimum of work, it was completed in what was regarded as a record for the time. It also helped that the provisional directors chose to proceed with development before raising funds from prospective members. This was a departure from the usual practice.

Captain Melville Millar was hired by Islington Golf Club as Secretary/Manager and helped to supervise the construction. He was subsequently hired by Thompson and worked for him until 1928 when he formed a partnership with George Cumming. In 1928, Millar donated the Millar Trophy for match play competition among professionals. This tournament was played at Islington for many years.

Islington Golf Club was an early assignment for Stanley Thompson, one of the foremost golf architects in North America. Although there has been minor alteration in the hole sequence over the years, the course plays close to its original design and retains much of the charm and features of Thompson’s original layout.